Campbell County Memorial Hospital has confirmed it has had three cases of Streptococcus A, also known as flesh-eating bacteria, in the past six weeks.
The hospital had denied the existence of the cases at the beginning of the month but Friday issued a press release confirming that, in fact, three cases have been identified.
Karen Clarke, hospital spokeswoman, could not comment on the condition of the patients citing privacy rules, only that the three are no longer patients at the hospital.
The hospital had been trying to reach its infectious disease specialist, Dr. Christopher Brown, on Friday but had not been able to reach him, said hospital CEO Bob Morasko.
Morasko would not comment on whether anyone died from the bacteria, saying it was on the advice of the hospital’s legal counsel.
Clarke said the disease is extremely hard to transmit from patient to patient, unlike diseases like tuberculosis. Flesh-eating bacteria can only be transmitted by coming in contact with “breaks in the skin or sores that allow the bacteria to get into tissue,” according to the hospital’s press release.
The hospital plans to have a public information session about the cases next week, although a time has not been set yet.