CASPER— A heater leaking carbon monoxide gas prompted the evacuation of the Central Wyoming Fairgrounds Arena, where a canine competition was being held.
The Agility Club of Central Wyoming’s dog agility trials reported experiencing headaches and nausea beginning Friday, and a concerned bystander made an emergency call Saturday afternoon. Emergency crews detected carbon monoxide in the arena before entering the building, and participants were told to leave for about an hour.
No one was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning or any other complications at the scene
Fire/EMS spokesman Craig Kidder says “this being the first cold snap, everybody’s heaters are kicking on, including industrial heaters,” and if a system has sprung a leak or developed another problem over the summer, it shows itself now.