From the Feb. 27, 1940 News Record:
DOUGLAS — Converse County officials ruled tonight as accidental the death of Mrs. James Virgollio of Glenrock, who drowned in a washtub while washing her baby’s clothes last Saturday. A coroner’s jury, after hearing that the young mother was subject to sudden spells of sickness, decided that the death was unavoidable under the circumstances.
From the Feb.13, 1964 News Record:
A new system of communications for the Gillette Fire Department was put into use this week, according to Charley Tyrrell, fire chief. When a fire alarm is placed to the fire department, the radio operator on duty has only to press a button on the phone, and all of the firemen are notified simultaneously. The button is pressed until the operator counts to 10 slowly. The phone is ringing in the home of each fireman all of this time and when the operator lifts the receiver, she repeats the location of the fire and other pertinent information three times. In the event that any phone in the system if busy, the priority fire call breaks into the line with its transmission. This system can be set up to handle as many as 21 phones at once.
From the Feb. 10, 1955 News Record:
Although the temperature readings for the past week were not too low, Frank Bulman of Gillette brought in an account and the evidence of a cat which surrendered all nine lives to old man winter last week. Last Saturday morning, Frank got his pickup going but not without a lot of coughing and balking on the part of the engine. Being a cold morning, he thought the engine would eventually warm up. But after several minutes he decided to look under the hood and found a kitty wrapped around his generator and frozen. Apparently the animal had crawled up in the engine while it was warm, had gone to sleep and froze to death in the night.