ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast — Ivory Coast officials say that new mass graves have been discovered near the site of a July attack on a camp for people displaced by the country’s post-election violence.
Rights groups claim the national army carried out summary executions in the attack. Last month, officials found six bodies in a well close to the former campsite in the western town of Duekoue.
Paul Mondouho, vice-mayor of Duekoue, said government, army and U.N. officials toured 10 more graves in the same area on Saturday. He said officials did not know how many bodies the graves contained because they had not been properly exhumed.
Army spokesmen could not be reached Tuesday. The Justice Ministry vowed in October to investigate the discovery of the initial grave.